Keeping the "news" in Newsvine! more
By American Idle - March 31, 2014
Hard News' aims to keep the 'news' in Newsvine
(Sorry. It won't link. Check my column archive.)
WHAT'S HARD NEWS?
* Dictionary.com: "serious news of widespread import, concerning politics, foreign affairs, or the like, as distinguished from routine news items, feature stories, or human-interest stories."
* WikiAnswers.com: "up-to-the-minute news and events that are reported immediately [and] take a factual approach: What happened? Who was involved? Where and when did it happen? Why?"
WHAT'S SUITABLE FOR POSTING HERE?
* Straight reporting on issues of immediate concern and of national or international significance, especially "breaking news."
* News stories about science, technology, education, the economy, the environment, war, politics, disasters, major crime, business, labor, government, law, and foreign affairs. This is not an exhaustive list.
* Primary news sources. See if the seed you're considering refers or links to a primary source.
WHAT'S NOT SUITABLE?
* Features, human interest stories, essays, routine news, local news
* Editorials or opinion columns, commentary, spin, propaganda, advocacy journalism, and blogs (the latter may be OK if they avoid the preceding and include original reporting)
* User summaries that contain opinion, commentary, etc. Post whatever you want in comments but your summary should avoid editorializing and provide an excerpt or brief recap of the facts.
WHAT SITES ARE USUALLY A PROBLEM?
* Fox News, MSNBC. While both cable networks do report "hard news," the commentary and slant of their reporting often sinks them in that category and will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
* Tea Party News Network, Weasel Zippers, Jammie Wearing Fools, Addicting Info, PoliticusUS, Daily Kos. These sites and many others like them usually have attention-grabbing headlines and are full of exactly what we don't want: rewrites of other media reporting with spin and what-not added.
* This is not an exhaustive list, and we'd like not to have to create one. These are examples.
WHAT DOES NATION ADMINISTRATION DO?
* From time to time, we'll provide information in comments about our requirements. We recognize that some users may not immediately understand the concept of hard news, as, indeed, much of the media seem not to either.
* Any seeds or articles that are not hard news may be removed from our nation column, with or without advisory comments.
* Offenders of our content requirements may be suspended or blocked from this nation.
* We encourage vigorous discussion and a variety of opinions in the comments section--all in keeping with Newsvine's rules, of course. Stay on topic, be respectful, and all will be well. Users aren't babies, and we aren't babysitters.
* Come back and read our "About" page periodically. We may need to update, depending on how this works. Or not!
READY TO "GET SMARTER HERE"?
Great. HARD NEWS is currently gated, so please apply for membership if you have some history of comments and/or seeds. We just want to make sure you're not a spammer. So, get started. Apply, join, seed, discuss!